Hello! My name is Vuyisile (voo-yee-sea-lay), and I’m a software developer from Zimbabwe. I enjoy writing, speaking, traveling and cutting wood. I develop back-end web applications, usually in Python and Django and I do my best work when I work remotely.
My Skills include: Python, Django, Docker, technical writing, and testing.
- The Bell Tower — Software Developer.
- Real Python— Author and Editorial Assistant.
- Northlea High School: Programming instructor.
Some people I have worked with have this to say:
instrumental in getting our Django Rest Framework project completed
Vuyisile was instrumental in getting our Django Rest Framework project completed. He is a diligent coder with a passion for learning and is a pleasure to work with. His work ethic and friendly, positive attitude are true assets. He is unafraid of technical challenges, speaks up when he needs help, and has solid foundations working with Python and Django. I highly recommend Vuyisile for any junior development position with Python.
- PyPI In a box -- An offline, Raspberry Pi powered clone of PyPI
- Invoices Generator -- A Django powered web application with a Postgres database running in a Docker environment hosted on the Divio Cloud. It uses CircleCI to run lint checks, unit, and functional (Selenium Webdriver) tests. Work in progress.
- Capital Finder -- A Python command line application that prints out the capital of any country provided to it.
Open Source work
- Mozilla. Former core contributor. I contribute code, QA, and documentation to a number of Mozilla projects such as Firefox, the Mozilla Developer Network(MDN), Taskcluster, and a bunch of internal tools.
- Oppia.org. A project close to my heart, this is an online learning platform that provides interactive learning to students in underserved communities in Africa and Asia. I wrote some of the user documentation here.
- Whichcraft. A cookiecutter related project that provides cross-platform cross-python shutil.which functionality. I worked on a fix for failing builds.
- Pytest nunit -- A pytest plugin for generating NUnit3 test result XML output. Added locale and uiculture properties.
- Divio -- Contributor to the Divio developer documentation.
I regularly talk about programming, open source, and privacy. I recently spoke at:
- PyCon Namibia 2020: PyPI In a box: Using a Raspberry Pi as a portable PyPI server
- PyCon Africa 2019 (Lightning talk): Sending Desktop Notifications from Python Scripts.
- PyCon Zimbabwe 2018: A Guide to getting remote work.
- PyCon Zimbabwe: Manipulating Excel Spreadsheets using Python
- Mozilla Privacy Workshop
- Mozilla and the Open Web Challenge
Interviews & Podcasts
My CV/Resume: Resume.
I am open to new opportunities. If you're hiring, please get in touch.