My name is Vuyisile (voo-yee-sea-lay), I’m a Software Developer with a passion for building back-end web applications, APIs, and smooth and efficient software delivery processes. I have experience with Docker, Ansible and CI/CD platforms. I’m also a fan of writing, traveling and even getting my hands dirty cutting wood to build the occasional DIY project.
I also enjoy keeping up with the latest industry trends and sharing my knowledge as a speaker at conferences and tech events.
Skills & Tech stack:
- Python/Django, PowerShell
- Building CI/CD pipelines
- AWS, Azure Cloud
- Technical Writing
- Automated Testing.
- The Migus Group — DevOps Engineer.
- Ideation.AI — Software Developer.
- The Bell Tower — Software Developer.
- Real Python— Author and Editorial Assistant.
Some people I have worked with have this to say:
Instrumental in getting our Django Rest Framework project completed
Vuyisile was instrumental in getting our Django Rest Framework project completed. He is a diligent coder with a passion for learning and is a pleasure to work with. His work ethic and friendly, positive attitude are true assets. He is unafraid of technical challenges, speaks up when he needs help, and has solid foundations working with Python and Django. I highly recommend Vuyisile for any junior development position with Python.
Fast, efficient, and reliable. Highly recommended!
We needed some work on our Django project. Someone recommended Vuyisile. He is fast, efficient, and reliable. Highly recommended!
I would classify him as an excellent developer
Vuyisile has an ability to see the full picture, he always sees the
business logic and writes code not just
by rote but to conform with the application’s (and user’s)
requirements. I would classify him as an
excellent developer, often producing results way beyond
expectations. He has a great working relationship with his team members and leaders, fitting in comfortably with colleagues and management alike.
I am in fact, more than a little envious of whoever hires him next, you’re going to get a cracking new team member!
I wrote a paid technical article on how to build a Django application with Geolocation support on the Divio Cloud.
End Youth Homelessness
The End Youth Homelessness website is written in Django and django CMS. I built a custom django CMS plugin to allow easy alignment of their media and content within the CMS. In addition, I added a MailChimp integration and Google Analytics to allow users to sign up to their newsletter as well as track user conversions.
free-z.ch is hosted on the Divio Cloud. The website experienced downtime caused by deployment issues relating to Python and Django configuration in a Docker environment. I resolved the issues and brought the website back online.
Erteno is a software development company. I wrote backend API integrations for one of their products that aggregates event and concert information.
- PyPI In a box -- An offline, Raspberry Pi powered clone of PyPI
- Invoices Generator -- A Django powered web application with a Postgres database running in a Docker environment hosted on the Divio Cloud. It uses CircleCI to run lint checks, unit, and functional (Selenium Webdriver) tests. Work in progress.
- Capital Finder -- A Python command line application that prints out the capital of any country provided to it.
Open Source work
- Mozilla. Former core contributor. I contribute code, QA, and documentation to a number of Mozilla projects such as Firefox, the Mozilla Developer Network(MDN), Taskcluster, and a bunch of internal tools.
- Oppia.org. A project close to my heart, this is an online learning platform that provides interactive learning to students in underserved communities in Africa and Asia. I wrote some of the user documentation here.
- Whichcraft. A cookiecutter related project that provides cross-platform cross-python shutil.which functionality. I worked on a fix for failing builds.
- Pytest nunit -- A pytest plugin for generating NUnit3 test result XML output. Added locale and uiculture properties.
- Divio -- Contributor to the Divio developer documentation.
I regularly talk about programming, open source, and privacy. I recently spoke at:
- Ubuntu Summit 2022, Prague: PyPI In a box: Using a Raspberry Pi as a portable PyPI server
- Chicaco Python, 2020: PyPI In a box: Using a Raspberry Pi as a portable PyPI server
- PyCon Africa 2020: PyPI In a box: Using a Raspberry Pi as a portable PyPI server
- PyCon Namibia 2020: PyPI In a box: Using a Raspberry Pi as a portable PyPI server
- PyCon Africa 2019 (Lightning talk): Sending Desktop Notifications from Python Scripts.
- PyCon Zimbabwe 2018: A Guide to getting remote work.
- PyCon Zimbabwe: Manipulating Excel Spreadsheets using Python
- Mozilla Privacy Workshop
- Mozilla and the Open Web Challenge
Features, Interviews & Podcasts
- The Mycelium Network Podcast: Episode 19
- CodeBytes: Techie of the week: Vuyisile Ndlovu
- Python Bytes Podcast: Multi Tenant Python Applications.
- Python Bytes Podcast: PyPI in a box project feature.
- Built in Africa Podcast: Developer Spotlight: Vuyisile Ndlovu
- Built in Africa Blog: Developer Hack: Creating a Portable PyPI Server for Offline Access
- PyDev Of The Week: Mouse Vs Python Blog
- Profitable Python Podcast: Django Freelancing in 2020
My CV/Resume: Resume.
I am open to new opportunities. If you're hiring, please get in touch.